Readers Theater Scripts
These Scripts for Schools Readers Theater scripts were created as a way to involve students in reading. In Reader's Theater, students "perform" by sharing parts and reading aloud. This is usually done without costumes or props, but not always.
RT is a strategy that combines reading practice and performing. Its goal is to enhance students' reading skills and confidence by practising reading with a purpose. Reader's Theater gives students a real reason to read aloud – and that reason is usually to prepare for some kind of performance! The performance can be confined to small groups within a classroom who perform for each other, or expanded to include larger audiences within your community. Whatever the audience, Readers Theater reaps many benefits:
Benefits of Using Readers Theater in the Classroom or Library. Readers Theater helps to
- Develop fluency through repeated exposure to text.
- Increase comprehension.
- Integrate reading, writing, speaking, listening in an authentic context, engage students.
- Increase reading motivation.
- Create confidence and improve the self-image of students.
- Provide a real purpose for reading.
- Provide opportunities for cooperative learning.
THE GOBLINS OF HOKKAIDO - YOUNGER READERS
A blue goblin and a red goblin live in the northern mountains of Japan on the island of Hokkaido. Both are the proud possessors of magic noses. The goblins find themselves in trouble with a prince and princess who finally teach them to keep their noses out of other people's business.